Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Maggie Wertheimer, Casey Sjoberg, Girls Cross Country & More


Below I am showcasing students with a deep reservoir of talent who are presently performing at a high level in one of their areas of interest. Maggie Wertheimer is a multi-talented individual with a passion for photography.  Below you will find a brief biography of Maggie and a link to her website where her talents are on full display.  

National Art Honor Society welcomes a few new members.  I have included some impressive artwork, and that is an understated and woefully inadequate description of the pieces submitted by Pamela Marino, Lily McCusker, & Haley Ashburn   

In addition, senior Casey Sjoberg placed second in the Affiliate Championships for the National Reining Horse Association.  Also, the Girls Cross Country Team had a tremendous season culminating in a league championship and Sophomore Emily Willson finishing in first place. Furthermore, GD's chapter of International Thespian Society inducted eight new members, and GD Drama production of Harvey is coming soon.  



Maggie Wertheimer
By Senior Maggie Wertheimer

My name is Maggie Wertheimer and I am a senior at Groton-Dunstable. I've been in this district since fourth grade and I can't think of day that I haven't been challenged or learned something new. I have had so many academic, athletic, travel, and artistic opportunities that helped me to discover who I am. My first semester freshmen year I walked into Mr. O'Connor's class with an iPod touch and no idea what it meant to take a photo. I soon realized that photography gives people the power to communicate with anyone despite language, age, or cultural differences. Through my new interest in photography I was recruited to participate in the yearbook as a photo editor and apply for the Leadership Summit in Costa Rica. Hearing Jane Goodall and the voices of 500 other student leaders at the summit helped me realize the effect that we can have on our world when we work together. I have gained so much from teachers, peers, and experiences but I am excited and prepared for what lies ahead. 




National Art Honor Society
By Sophomore Haley Ashburn 

The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) at GDRHS welcomes returning members - Charlotte McCarthy (Vice President), Serena Scharn, and Avery Ferrante - and will be inducting new members Pamela Marino (President), Haley Ashburn (Public Relations), Lily McCusker, Kiley Lawton, Saya Norton and National Junior Art Honor Society member Matthew Suchecki this Friday at the high school. A reception will follow at 6 p.m.and will feature various pieces of artwork from current and new members. Afterwards, the GD Drama Guild will perform their opening night of the classic play “Harvey.”

Additional exciting news for the GDRHS NAHS includes the upcoming NAHS Art Show, “Navigating the Imagination.” The show, which is an annual juried exhibit of artwork from NAHS members within Massachusetts, will be held at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams, MA. Selected works encompass a variety of media, techniques, and creativity from NAHS members across the state. This year, the artwork of three GDRHS students will be included in the exhibit. “Splash” (oil on paper) by sophomore Haley Ashburn, “Grandparents' Barn” (acrylic on paper) by sophomore Pamela Marino and “Skeleton” (pastel on paper) by junior Lily McCusker will be on display from November 2nd to November 28th at MCLA’s Press Gallery.



Grandparents' Barn” (acrylic on paper) by sophomore Pamela Marino



“Skeleton” (pastel on paper) by junior Lily McCusker

 “Splash” (oil on paper) by sophomore Haley Ashburn,


Casey Sjoberg
By Casey Sjoberg


I went to Syracuse, New York to compete at the Affiliate Championships for the National Reining Horse Association. The Affiliate Championships are a competition one has to qualify for in order to compete against the best in the Northeastern region.  My classes were more competitive because I was competing against higher skilled riders.
The sport I compete in is known as reining. In this western riding discipline we are given a pattern comprised of sliding stops, spins, circles and speed changes.  Each of these maneuvers is rated from a -1.5 to a 1.5 and there tends to be seven to nine maneuvers, the points may be added or subtracted in increments of 0.5. The competitor begins with 70 points and if they remain at 70 they had a perfect pattern, because when a maneuver is done correctly it scores a 0.
With regards to my classes, I placed second out of thirty-two in one in the Green Reiner division and second twice in the Youth Rookie division.  I also scored my first 69. In addition, I competed in a youth tournament on Sunday. For this tournament, the youth competitors were randomly placed on different teams, then they completed their pattern and at the end of the class all of the team members’ scores were added and the highest number wins. Although my team did not win we came in fifth out of eight, we were up against some really lucky teams.
Overall, I had a successful show and I was offered a team spot on a Cobleskill IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Show Association). Although I do not wish to attend that school, I was flattered.  I hope to continue to improve with my horse and to one day ride in college on a NCAA Division one team at Texas A & M.

Girls Cross Country
The girls cross country team ran away with the League Championship on Saturday defeating their closest competitor by 24 points.  The girls earned 5 league all-star titles by taking 6 places in the top 13 runners.  Emily Willson lead her team to victory earning a 1st place finish in 19:46.  Emily Willson, Meagan Odell, Emily McAuliffe, Julianna Higgins, and Emma Demers are MidWach B League All-Stars.  http://gdrsd.org/gdrhs/2015/10/26/girls-cross-country-takes-home-division-b-title/



International Thespian Society Inductions
By Chris Olson
On October 20th, GD's chapter of International Thespian Society inducted eight new members.  To join the drama honor society students need some on stage experience, though typically members have many hours on stage before becoming members.  Members perform community service hours over their high school career in support of theater in the district and in the community.  Though many community service hours are at the high school, building and painting sets for example, hours can also be performed elsewhere.  Some of our honors students will be volunteering this coming weekend at the Florence Roche Halloween Parade.  New inductees are Nick Pellizzari, Laura Barranco, Kasha Jezak, Michael Suchecki, Jack Malone, Pam Marino, Calvin Parker, and Celeste Vandermillen.






Harvey Coming Soon











No comments:

Post a Comment